Monday 2 April 2007

Slo-Mo RIB

Spent my first day out on the water with the ultra motion camera today, and I must say I was quite impressed. I installed laptops in some funny places but I think on the back of a rigid inflatable boat (RIB) has got to be the most mad so far!

For some reason the Ultra motion camera has been designated a post production item, hence why I'm hanging on for dear life with a laptop in the back of a boat while the cameraman shouts hurry up on the download so he can shoot something else. The basics of how it works:

The camera head is set into a looping capture with (depending on the frame rate you are capturing at) around 5 seconds of record before it loops. you have a chap with a laptop (Me) hooked up to the camera, that operates the trigger, when the camera is triggered the capture is then saved into the camera head, so if you are capturing at 500 pictures per second you may set it to capture 250pps before the trigger and 250pps after the trigger, this is completely customisable as to how you want it. Then you select an in and an out point on the capture and save the file out to the hard drive of the laptop, this then downloads it from the camera head and saves it out as the file format you want, all this with the boat bobbing up and down quite heavily!

I loved every second!

No comments: